Emergency Management Services
Since 1995, the Central Shenandoah Planning District Commission (CSPDC) has been actively involved in disaster mitigation and preparedness throughout the Region. Assisting communities with securing and administering grant funding for hazard mitigation projects, coordinating the Region’s disaster preparedness and mitigation education program, and providing emergency management planning services are the primary elements of the program.
Services We Provide
Speakers Bureau. A Speaker’s Bureau to educate groups on emergency and disaster preparedness topics is available through the CSPDC. Presentations are tailored to the specific group’s needs, time restrictions, and topic of interest. All presentations are free of charge.
Training. Training for local governments, human service organizations, and the business community on pertinent disaster mitigation and preparedness and emergency management topics can be facilitated by the CSPDC. The CSPDC also coordinates and implements the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training program in the Region.
Grant Assistance. Grant writing and administration as well as implementation of local community mitigation projects are services provided by the CSPDC.
Emergency Response and Mitigation Planning. The CSPDC offers mitigation planning and emergency operations planning assistance to local jurisdictions in the Central Shenandoah Region.
Shenandoah Valley Project Impact Disaster Mitigation and Preparedness Education Program. Shenandoah Valley Project Impact (SVPI), the Region’s disaster mitigation and preparedness education program is organized by the CSPDC. SVPI educates people of all ages on a variety of disaster preparedness and mitigation topics via presentations to civic groups, displays at community events, training and workshops for organizations, and CERT training.
SVPI Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training. Offered since 2003, the goal of CERT is to train people in basic skills such as disaster preparedness, fire safety, first aid, disaster psychology, and terrorism awareness so that they will be able to better protect their families and help neighbors during an emergency or disaster. This is a 9-week course offered free of charge.
Regional All Hazards Mitigation Plan. The CSPDC completed a Regional All Hazards Plan for the jurisdictions located within the Central Shenandoah Planning District. This plan, which is updated every five years, addresses the hazards, risks, and most vulnerable areas in the Region and includes strategies to reduce or eliminate risks and prioritizes potential mitigation projects. All Hazards Mitigation Plans are required by federal and state government in order for local governments to be eligible for disaster mitigation grant funds.
Flood Mitigation. The CSPDC has provided expertise in the development of a number of key flood mitigation projects throughout the Region including:
- Town of Glasgow Housing Relocation and Flood Proofing Project
- City of Staunton Downtown Commercial Flood Proofing Project
- South River Residential Acquisition Mitigation Project (Rockbridge County)
- City of Buena Vista Residential Elevation and Acquisition Mitigation Project
- Village of Port Republic Floodproofing Project
Emergency Management Planning. The CSPDC has assisted localities throughout the Region on several types of emergency management plans including:
- Staunton-Augusta-Waynesboro Emergency Operations Plan
- Bath County Emergency Operations Plan
- Staunton-Augusta-Waynesboro Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan
- Bath County Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Plan
- Augusta County Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Rebecca Joyce
- Shenandoah Valley Hurricane Guide
- Prepare and Prevent Disaster Mitigation and Preparedness Brochure
- Too Much Weather: Disaster Preparedness Guide For Kids
- Shenandoah Valley Terrorism Brochure
- SVPI Pet Preparedness Brochure
- SVPI Business Preparedness Guide
- SVPI Winter Preparedness Fact Sheet
- SVPI Tornado Preparedness Fact Sheet
- All Hazards Plan
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Citizen Corps
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- VA Department of Emergency Management
- Weather Channel
- Weather Underground Hurricanes &Tropical Cyclones
- Medical Reserve Corps
- National Flood Insurance Program